Part 4: Common mistakes
This is the fourth in a series of emails with simple tips on improving how you promote yourself and your business. Today we are going to cover COMMON ERRORS.
Common Marketing Mistakes
You have decided who you want to target, how you are going to target them, and you know you need to grab their attention, educate them on what you do, and most importantly get them to respond to your call to action.
Here are a few tips on what NOT to do:
- Humour: All jokes are at someone's expense - I tend to avoid the use of humour because of this. Humour can be effective if used correctly BUT its also easy these days to offend, even if the joke is taken out of context!
- To many words or cluttered design: (... and taking note of point 1!!) There is an acronym I like, K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid!) and this should apply to your marketing. If you have a lot to say - use a 'Call to Action' ('... read more', send now for our white paper, etc.) and don't try to tell it all in your attention grabbing marketing.
- Contact Details: This may seem like a basic but you would be surprised how many people forget to add their phone number, email address, or location.
- Avoid Acronyms: LOL - while you have designed your promotional materials using A.I.D.A. (... read more) - and you are a gr8 company m8; it can be difficult to read, or understand, don't be too clever, don't assume what people already know and K.I.S.S.
- Graphics: Don't just download something off the internet, try to take your own pictures, and do use a resolution that will give a clearly defined print. As a small business keep it real, photo's of your staff at work are more engaging than a stock model shot, that looks like a stock model shot.
Look at your Marketing materials - do they say what you do and who you do it for? If not, or you are not sure, why not give us a call to see what we can do to make your message resonate better.
If you want any help with your marketing contact me today.
We provide a full suite of products and services to help you promote your business including ...
- creative design
- promotional products
- custom apparel
- signs and banners
... and more. Please call me now if you have any questions at all.
KEITH 01324 613636